The river flows for a distance of approximately 6.3 miles from the source, a spring near to Banwell church, it flows north and north west to St Georges on the north side of Weston Super Mare and then through Ebdon to enter the Bristol Channel at Woodspring Bay.
It is an artificial channel constructed before 1351 when it was known as the “Banewellesyeo”. Although the purpose of its construction is not known, the canalised channel provided a link between the Bishop of Well’s Manor at Banwell with the sea. 1
See also Banwell River History
References:1.Waterways and Water Transport on Reclaimed Coastal Marshlands: The Somerset Levels and Beyond – Stephen Rippon