River Brue Structures

Ansford Bridge


Bridge Name:   Ansford Bridge
No.:   16 A
Build Date:   1823
Engineer:   John Stone – Builder, Charles Wainwright – Designer

  © Copyright somersetrivers.org

Masonry road bridge, carries the A371. Single segmental arch built with lias stone, cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings. Plain end piers, simple parapets with shaped coping. English Heritage Listed Building Number: 268278. RH Wing wall inscription ANSFORD BUILT 1823. LH Wingwall inscription BUILT 1823.1

The great stone arch of Woodmill Bridge, carrying the Bristol road over the Brue, fell in 1696 and was replaced by as two arches. The bridge was too narrow in 1821 when a new bridge was planned further east. Ansford Bridge, a new single-arched bridge slightly further east, was built by John Stone in 1823�5 to a plain design by Charles Wainwright. It was paid for by the county and the Shepton Mallet turnpike trust.2

References:   1.Somerset HER id =22307,
2.Victoria County History – Ansford
Also see The Ancient Bridges of the South of England by Jervoise and Somerset Roads The Legacy of the Turnpikes Phase 2 – Eastern Somerset J B Bentley & B J Murless.