River Brue Structures

Church Bridge, Bruton

Bridge Name:   Church Bridge, Bruton
No.:   6
Build Date:   Early 19th century

  © Copyright somersetrivers.org

Masonary road bridge. Local stone rubble with Doulting stone dressings three plain semi-circular arches with triangular cutwaters and base starlings on East side; simple parapet. In 1757 bridge was barely wide enough for a carriage, but it had been widened on the East side by 1838. Referred to by Leyland as the ” Est Bridge of 3 Archys of Stone”. English Heritage Listed Building Number: 261616. Flood damage repairs completed in 1983.
References:   Somerset HER������ �

The Ancient Bridges of the South of England by Jervoise.