|Bridge Name:||Ham Bridge|
|Build Date:||2009 – 2010|
© Copyright somersetrivers.org
|Footbridge connecting Ham with Creech St Michael. There was a bridge at Ham before 1709. A new bridge at was built in 1758 but by 1839 it had been replaced by a bridge further east on the site of the present footbridge.
Following a bridge inspection in January 2008 Ham Bridge was condemned. Due to the length and location of the bridge it proved a challenge to find companies willing to quote for the removal of the current structure and the design and build of a new bridge. By the end of 2008, the old bridge was removed and within days the central pier had collapsed. In total, replacing the bridge with a 39 metre steel-framed, wooden deck structure cost around �90,000.
The bridge was officially reopened on 12th February 2010 by Cllr Anthony Trollope-Bellew, Cabinet member for Environment.
|References:||/www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18506″>British History Online������ �|