|Bridge Name:||Hartlake Bridge|
|Location:||ST 5130 4115 (ST 54 SW)|
|Reinforced Concrete bridge with three arches, one appears unused, Hartlake River Flows beneath one, and the 12 Foot Rhyne flows beneath the other. Carries the A39, the main Glastonbury to Wells Road.
To the north of the town was Hartlake Bridge (SMR 23579), which was described by Leland as a single-arched stone bridge in the mid 16th century: it was rebuilt in 1775.1
The present 3 arched bridge is reinforced concrete and was built in 1910 and designed by Edward Stead, when he was Assistant County Surveyor. Copings, stringcourses and quoins are of ashlar masonry with the remainder of the masonry rock faced. The end of the concrete deck is exposed in elevation. The bridge is 22 feet in span.2
Bentley and Murless in Somerset Roads A legacy of the turnpikes say an inscription on the bridge states that the bridge was rebuilt in 1910 by H.T.Chapman – County Surveyor
|References:||1.Somerset Extensive Urban Survey – Glastonbury Archaeological Assessment
2.Somerset HER No.23579