River Parrett Structures

Haselbury Bridge


Bridge Name:   Haselbury Bridge
No.:   13
Build Date:   Circa 14th Century
Prob.built 14th cent, repaired 1844 for �401

Road bridge over River Parrett. Probably C14. Ham stone ashlar. Two chamfered orders to 2 segmental arches divided by angled cutwaters on each side: simple plain parapet, the south-west corner splayed to accommodate road junction, and both stepped up in centre allowing for the hill slope: plain top. This was the established Salisbury/Exeter route by 1675, and this bridge marked the boundary between the Chard (later Crewkerne) and Yeovil Trusts, both founded 1753. It also marks the boundary between Haselbury Plucknett C.P. and Merriott C.P. The bridge repaired 1844 at cost of forty pounds, soon after it had been bypassed by the main Crewkerne to Yeovil road some 150m to the south2

A few miles from its source the River Parrett is crossed by Haselbury Bridge, the most perfect medieval bridge in this part of the country. It has two pointed arches, both with narrow chamfered ribs, a rare type of construction in the W of England. It was probably built in the C14 or C15.During repairs to the stonework an opportunity was taken to examine the structure of the bridge in some detail. The bridge is though to date to the 14th-century and is built of Ham-stone ashlar with two segmental arches separated by an angled cutwater on both upstream and downstream sides. The bridge has four soffit ribs under each arch. The river-bed below the bridge has been paved to prevent scouring. During the examination a number of masons’ marks was recorded. The Old Bridge was by-passed when Eastham’s bridge was built by the Yeovil Turnpike Trust in 1831.3

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 262255. First Listed on 19/04/1961.

References:   1. Somerset Roads the Legacy of the Turnpikes Western Somerset by J B Bentley & B J Murless
2. Somerset HER Ref: 58937 3. Somerset HER Ref: 53129