Congresbury Yeo Structures

Perry Bridge

Bridge Name:   Perry Bridge
No.:   20
Location:   -2.747785   51.350771
Build Date:   18th Century – Widened 1927

  © Copyright

Description:   Repairs to Perry Bridge were noted in the paper Manorial Court Papers 1733-1757. Perry Bridge, crossing the Yeo at the foot of the hill, is also marked on John Ogilby’s semi-pictorial routemap of the London-Bristol-Huntspill road in 1675. The name in fact suggests this crossing may be much older still : “perry” may be a corruption of the French “pierre” (stone), a stone bridge, as opposed to the plank (beam) bridge at the less important Beam Bridge crossing. (1)

The improvement of the bye-ways followed that of the highway, and in course of time three priucipal bridges were built over the river Yeo, called respectively—Perry Bridge, over which passes the main road to Bridgwater ; County Bridge, on the road from Wrington to Burrington and Blagdon ; and
Beam Bridge, on the road from Wrington to Langford and Churchill (2)

Perry Bridge MNS791mPewrry Bridge (NFstone bridge) has C13 references. (1) Medieval (3)

    1. Wrington Village Records

2. Proceedings of Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society 1887

3. North Somerset HER