|Spargrove Mill, Spargrove
© Copyright somersetrivers.org
|Masonary single segmental arch road bridge built of local stone. Replaced a 16th century stone bridge. An archaeological watching brief1 was undertaken by Peter Leach Archaeological Consultant during the restoration and re-watering of the moated manor. The work uncovered evidence of medieval occupation through to late-medieval when the bridge/causeway underwent stages of replacement. Around the 16th century a stone wall was built on the inner edge of the moat and a stone bridge was constructed. A replacement bridge was erected in the 17th to 18th centuries along with landscaping of the moat. The 19th century brought restoration to the manor following a major fire.
|1.The School of Conservation Sciences, Bournemouth University Ref:3/1472 (E.40.E048)