|Blagdon Lake Dam Bridge
|Designer Charles Hawksley
© Copyright somersetrivers.org
|A water outlet with portal and bridge leading over it, designed by the architect and civil engineer Charles Hawksley as part of the Blagdon waterworks built in 1898-1905.
The c145 m long stone lined outlet has a short section of stone walling terminated by square shaped dwarf piers topped with pyramidal stone copings where it abuts the bridge. At its far east end is a portal set into the earth dam, built in rock-faced stone with stone ashlar dressings. The central opening to the portal has a four-centred arch with moulded architrave above, topped with coved and chamfered coping.
The four-centred single span bridge leading over the outlet has rusticated stone facings to the span and abutments to either side which are divided by four pilasters topped with square dwarf piers with pyramidal copings. Decorative horizontal cast iron railings are set between the piers, with floral brackets to the base of the vertical posts which are topped with ball finials. SETTING: the outlet with portal and bridge are situated in the landscaped grounds of Blagdon Pumping Station (qv), which stands to its south, and are framed by the steep bank of the earth dam to its east. (1)
|1. Historic England Listed Structure