River Parrett Structures

Carey’s Mill Bridge


Bridge Name:   Carey’s Mill Bridge
No.:   21
Location:   ST 4455 1865
Build Date:    
Road bridge over River Parrett. Possibly C18. Ham stone ashlar, single segmental arch; slightly arched side walls with plain angled copings having circular piers at ends; to north-west corner a stone stile or squeeze, with two shaped stones tapering to narrow defile between; to south- east a return wall in cut and squared stonework links with the boundary wall to Parrett House (q.v), in the north-west wall of which is the segmental arched outlet to the mill-stream, with side piers and nearby weir, all part of the considerable establishment of mills and works on this site.1

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 421331. First Listed on 16/03/1978.

References:   1. Somerset HER Ref.52605